4. HORIZONTAL ACTIVITIES
» Scenario development and decision support
» Foresight systems
» Policy development
» Law enforcement
6. INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES
» Cyber security
7. SOCIO-ECONOMIC SCIENCES AND THE HUMANITIES
» Social Sciences
» Political Sciences
Mihai Viteazul” National Intelligence Academy is the only high education institution in Romania devoted to producing intelligence officers and experts in the field. Its educational offer has been designed to meet criteria in the Bologna protocol as well as European standards and policies for higher education. While primarily orientated towards the training and specialization of intelligence officers, the Academy encompasses several distinct study programmes, among which the most recently added is an MA programme targeting the development of a solid security culture and knowledgeable experts within civil society and institutional formats.
High level expertise and teaching standards, modern facilities as well as the existence of a specialized research unit – the National Institute for Intelligence Studies – integrated within the Academy, lead to its accreditation by the Romanian Agency for Quality Insurance in Higher Education with the highest rating at national level – a high level of trust. During the latest national process of evaluation, the Academy was also ranked among higher education institutions conducting both education and research activities.
The Academy has also developed various partnerships with reputed world-wide Academies and research formats, which confered better mobility, flexibility and transfer of know-how in the field of inetelligence. As part of this goal, the Academy is currently focusing on building up the competence of its teaching staff in an integrated manner, as trainer, teacher and researcher. Research process has been oriented toward projects funded from the budget of the European Union, further integration of EU funds into financing its research activities being one of the main objectives of incoming years.
The National Institute for Intelligence Studies (NIIS) conducts research activities in the field of intelligence and security studies aimed at:
• supporting the education process within the “Mihai Viteazul” National Intelligence Academy by providing inovative methods and tools in the field of intelligence andl security
• capitalizing its results in national and European research and development programs
• provide a scientific basis for the transformation and adaptation of the national intelligence community.
As a result, intelligence and security studies focus on:
• the evolution of the concept of intelligence • the relation between intelligence and decision-makers
• organizational intelligence and institutional security • intelligence analysis
• OSINT • cyberintelligence
• integrating the INT-s • national and international security strategies and policies
• intelligence cooperation • reagional security (Black sea area, Western Balkans, Middel East)
• early warning systems • security of critical infrastructures
• energetic security • crisis management and security culture
NIIS has its own nationally accredited publication – The Romanian Journal for Intelligence Studies.