1. NATURAL SCIENCES
» Medical Sciences
5. TECHNOLOGIES & MATERIALS
» Material Science
» Sensor equipment and technologies
6. INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES
» ICT applications
» Radio Frequency (RFID)
My current research activity aims at the development of non invasive diagnostic and patient monitoring tools by the combined use of traditional analytical instrumentation and sensors. The idea is to use the former to identify or monitor chemical markers in easily accessible body fluids such as breath, sweat and saliva, and to develop sensors for low cost, real time measurements.
In the sensor field, I participated in three ICT EU projects in the 5th and 6th FP and in six at National level. At present, I’m coordinating a research unit collaborating to an ICT project in FP7.
I authored 25 papers on international peer-reviewed journals, 3 book chapters, 50 contribution to congresses, 3 patents.
Open research lines:
• Evaluation of recovery of liver function after transplant by breath analysis
• Monitoring of patients undergoing dialysis by spectrophotometric measurements of spent dialysate
• Monitoring of the anticoagulation therapy by oral fluid analysis
• Wearable and wireless sensors:
o Cold chain monitoring (based on RFID technology)
o Measurement of sweat rate and transepidermal water loss
o Monitoring of chronic wounds (temperature, pH)