1. NATURAL SCIENCES
» Transport systems
» Aerospace technologies
» Railway technologies
» Space & satellite technologies
4. HORIZONTAL ACTIVITIES
» Scenario development and decision support
» Testing and validation
5. TECHNOLOGIES & MATERIALS
» Material Science
» Protective textiles
» Detection technologies
» Sensor equipment and technologies
» Electronics, Microelectronics
6. INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES
» Intelligence systems
» Smart Systems
Doctor in Physical of Material, Univ. del Pais Vasco, UPV/EHU, (Spain) – 1997 Doctorate award. Her research fields are focused in two main areas: sensor and actuator development based on smart materials, and magnetic and superconducting, including the materials design, fabrication and applications development for the aerospace and security sectors. Her research and technologies activities have been carried out in Spanish national institutions, such as the Chemistry Faculty of the Basque Country University (UPV/EHU) in San Sebastián, the Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas of Madrid-CSIC, private research institutions Cidetec and TECNALIA, and international institutions, such as, Max-Planck Institute in Stuttgart (Germany) and the Istituto Materiali per Elettronica e Magnetismo IMEM-CNR in Parma (Italy).
Presently, she is coordinating the smart systems and functional component and the sensors and actuators Innovation Research Line in TECNALIA. She is coordinating the development of piezoelectric sensors for space and aeronautic applications, luminiscent sensors for chemical and biological compound detection for industrial and safety and security markets and actuators based on piezoelectric and Shape Memory Alloys, as well as CBRNE smart (sensors) and passive (filters) solution for Biosecurity protection.
Coordination of activities, products and specialist teams related to Security and Defence in TECNALIA.
Executive Security Chef for Security Clearance.
Member of the Stakeholder teams in PRACTICE project.
Expert invited at EU CBRN-E workshops, Spanish Railway platform, ESRIF and ASD.
Participant at the EDA CAPTECH and the national defence observatories.
Project management of transversal projects on security and defence innovation and technology and society for transport sector.
Number of publications.- 41
Main Research projects in last 5 years.-
– International project on Security:
– DECOTESSc1. The scope of this project was the demonstration of a consistent portfolio of countermeasures for CBRNE along the chain from prevention to response and recovery. Tecnalia’s role was the identification of gaps on state-of-the-art technologies for chemical, biological and explosives threats. A second task carried out by Tecnalia in cooperation with the other partners was the technologies roadmaps in the field of C, B and E threats. In this project, we have done a deep analysis about the gaps in currently funded projects (by all agencies of EC and EDA, USA and CA, including European National initiatives) and the need on new research initiatives and demonstrations. Some of this information was classified by the EC.
– DEMASST. Roadmapping study of the vulnerabilities and need of the mass transportation systems with their very high densities of people to build up a protection system for passengers and infrastructures. Tecnalia role: A) road map focused on sensor technologies E threats because passives solutions were not perceived as a need by stakeholders, B) Ranking of the technologies and their maturity and C) To promote SME and industry participation on the workshop of the project.
– MIPMaDe. Tecnalia’s role: Development of passive and active (low cost) solutions for the energy transport line and the airport security check point protection.
– CUSTOM. Tecnalia’s role. Development of a fluorescence detector for Ephedrine detection (a drug precursor).
– PATCH. To develop a biological dosimeter for military use Tecnalia’s role.: Development of passive solutions (filters) for biological treats (virus, bacteria and spores).
– PRETEAR. Road map of sensors technologies for threats to environments in Arctic regions.
– SECUREMETRO. Low cost passive solutions development for railway vehicles (metro) in case of explosion attacks.
– SECURESTATION. Development of a handbook for station design and retrofitting in case of CBRN attacks. Focused on the dispersion of the attack contamination, he role of Tecnalia is focus on passive solutions (filter to prevent CB and particles contamination dispersion in the air systems) and sensors technologies for CB in combination with E threats.
– TRIAL. The objective is to evaluate the potential of a knowledge based approach to point out, assess and rank potential threats to chemical supply chain (production, storage, transportation) and to identify action plans to reduce risk, preventing the occurrence of critical events or at least mitigating their effects through effective management of the subsequent emergency situations.
– CARONTE. The future research agenda for security in land transport which CARONTE will provide, focuses on core relevant gaps caused by emerging risks and will avoid doubling in research. For this CARONTE will provide answers to the question of what type of security related projects should be planned in the future, considering the current state of the art and existing research projects. It will cover all threats (including cyber-crime) and security aspects for all land transportation modes, respecting fundamental human rights and privacy. The step by step method includes analyzing the state of the art and emerging risks, identification of gaps, analyses and assessments of potential solutions and the research agenda.
– National project on Security: SEDUCE
– Sensors project for Transport and transversal sectors:
– ActiPPTSens. Sensors technologies development for turbine engine safety control. The project is focus on the reduction of Pb in PZT sensor membranes.
– SINTONIA. Structural health monitoring of aerial vehicles. B
– ACTIMAT. Fundamental research on Smart materials for transversal applications. The project scope goes from materials development to applications. This National platform on smart and strategic materials has 10 years of experience and has been funded by the Basque government.
– LUMISENS. Reduction of Critical Luminescent and fluorescent materials by the application of new processing route, electrospinning, based on nanofibers materials.
– PIEZOSELEX. Focus on the energy harvest for the environment using electoceramic and polymeric materials.